The Balkan's Finest: Multisport
Croatia & Montenegro
TIPS AND TRICKS
Balkan’s Finest Tour brings you a combination of kayaking in the Adriatic Sea and hiking, cycling and rafting in Montenegro’s mountains and rivers. Although Croatia and Montenegro share a common Adriatic coastline, the islands end at Croatia’s southern border with Montenegro.
Croatia’s unique coastline is a proud owner of roughly 1244 islands, a dream come true for one that loves kayaking. On the other hand, Montenegro has something different – spectacular mountain scenery, deep river-cut canyons, and the mountain ringed Bay of Kotor.
In this expedition you will be sea kayaking in the warm waters of the Adriatic, snorkeling in the caves and soaking up the sun, hiking up to the hilltop fortress overseeing the old city of Kotor, whitewater rafting in the Tara River canyon, hiking in the national park of Durmitor and we definitely forgot a couple of things.
If being in one place for too long isn’t your cup of tea, you came to the right place as Lighthouse will take you to so many destinations that you will have a difficult time choosing your highlight of the trip. Top picks of the two countries, packed into one big adventure where you will become a sea kayaker, hiker, whitewater paddler, mountain biker and a true nomad in touch with the nature. Welcome.
- Day 1: Transit day: arrive in Dubrovnik, explore Old City / walk the city walls; 4 PM ferry to Lopud Island; Check-in at the guesthouse; introduction dinner
- Day 2: Šunj beach: equipment issue/basic paddling and rescue instruction in Lopud Bay; Paddle outer side of Lopud along limestone cliffs to Sunj beach; Relax at Sunj beach, lunch at the beach bar, swim; hike to the Spanish fort; Explore Lopudʼs town, monastery, walking trails
- Day 3: Koločep island: morning hike to kayaks at Sunj; Kayak from Sunj beach to Koločep island; Circumnavigation of Koločep, paddle along cliffs and caves; Swim and snorkel to the Blue cave; Climb the cliffs for a have picnic lunch
- Day 4: Trsteno village: morning hike to Sunj beach; Kayak from Sunj to Trsteno on the mainland coast; Visit Trstenoʼs 15 century arboretum & villas as well as a site for filming of the popular show “Game of Thrones”; Sunset and dinner at terrace restaurant
- Day 5: Transit day: morning ferry off Lopud; Car transfer to Montenegro; visit UNESCO walled city of Kotor; Hike up for panoramic views of the Bay of Kotor; Continue north to Tara River Canyon and riverside bonfire dinner
- Day 6: Tara river: raft the final 18 km stretch of the Tara River before it enter Bosnia, featuring 23 rapids, Bonfire dinner at riverside camp
- Day 7: Durmitor park: morning hike in Durmitor National Park; Afternoon car transfer to Dubrovnik; Sightseeing on your own in Old Town, dinner
- Day 8: Transit day: transfer to airport for departure ﬂights
- Arrival/Departure Point: Dubrovnik
- Accommodations: Lopud Island & Dubrovnik: guesthouse rooms with attached bathroom and A/C; Montenegro: Private double or triple log cabin rooms with attached bathroom and outside deck or log cabin bunkhouse bungalows with detached shared bathroom facilities
- Tour Price*: 8.900,00 Kn / €1173 / $1390 / £1043
- Tour Inclusions: 7 nights accommodation, all meals, entrance fees, kayak and rafting gear, guiding, airport transfer, car and ferry transfers
- Tour Exclusions: personal spending, drinks during lunches and dinners
- Single Supplement: additional 1.750,00 Kn / €230 / $240 / £195
*Prices are in Croatian Kuna: Euro, USD, & GBP prices are subject to exchange rate fluctuations
**2 person minimum**
What to Bring:
YOUR PASSPORT, water and snacks for the drive, a change of clothes, a warm layer (sweater or fleece) for the cooler mountain air, and Euros in case you want to buy yourself any additional drinks (beer, wine, local grappa, coke, juice). You may drink water from the river. Croatia’s currency is the Kuna; Montenegro accepts only the Euro. A camera is optional; you will see amazing scenery and be in the 2nd largest river gorge in the world, so you’ll probably want to take some pictures.